Saturday, December 15, 2012

Luke Grady: "Quite Acceptable to his people"

Shortly after relocating to North Carolina, my Aunt Margaret (Grady-Green) gave me all the impetus I needed to begin my search about my great grandfather, Luke Grady(1854-1932). Luke was ten years old when slavery was abolished, and was elected to the North Carolina State Assembly in 1885. There were many sources from which I drew information about Luke, but I was surprised to find his biography from an unlikely source.

Marvin Brown, a white North Carolina senior & architectural historian, authored the book, Luke Grady of New Hanover County, North Carolina "quite acceptable to his people" in 2000. Mr. Brown b
ecame familiar with

Luke's story while working on an environmental review of a roadway project in Wilmington, NC, near The Cape Fear River. In nearby Rock Hill, NC Luke grave site. The roadway project put Luke's final resting place in jeopardy. Well, local Grady family members expressed concerns, wanting to keep Luke's grave site undisturbed.

When Mr. brown heard of Luke's story he was inspired to accommodate the site, and joined a group to petition to have an historical maker in Luke's honor placed nearby. He also told me that he wanted his young daughter to learn about this man named Luke Grady.


The book itself, Luke Grady of New Hanover County: "quite acceptable to his people", was published by the North Carolina Dept of Transportation. 

1 comment: